BRITISH COLUMBIA/YUKON [Change Province]
<< Back to Full Course List
Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) Awareness
Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) is a highly toxic and flammable gas. Each year in Canada, workers are injured and killed by exposure to H2S. H2S Awareness explains the properties of H2S, identifies control measures, and provides a practical description of what to do in the event of exposure.
Who Should Take the Course?
The risk of H2S exposure exists in many industries, including, but not limited to oil and gas, pulp and paper, construction, and mining. In workplaces where the possibility of H2S exposure exists, ALL workers should have H2S Awareness training. Workers who are at risk of exposure to H2S and/or workers with rescue responsibilities also require H2S Alive and workplace-specific training.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
• Recognize H2S as a highly toxic gas
• Describe the properties of H2S and workplace environments where H2S may be found
• Know the possible symptoms of exposure to low concentrations and to higher concentrations
• Understand that exposure to high concentrations can lead to unconsciousness and death within minutes, or even seconds
• Identify potential long term effects associated with H2S exposure
• Provide examples of engineering controls, administrative controls, and PPE that can be used to protect workers from H2S exposure
• Identify various types of H2S monitoring devices and tools
• Know how to respond appropriate in a situation involving H2S exposure
H2S Awareness is a single module course which includes interactive activities to reinforce key concepts. At the end of the module, there is a multiple choice test. Participants must successfully complete the test in order to continue to complete the course. Participants that do not achieve 100% can review the module content and re-test. There is no limit on the number of times a participant can attempt testing. Test questions are randomly selected from a test bank, making each testing experience unique.
Upon successfully completing all modules, there is a printable certificate for your records.
Course Duration:This online course is self-paced. Participants may leave the course at anytime and can resume where they left off. The duration will depend on the individual participant and their prior knowledge of the subject matter. On average, the course will take less than 1 hour to complete.